History

Built as the first purpose-built training college for railway staff, the building which now houses The Derby Conference Centre first opened in 1938. Designed by William H. Hamlyn, who was the London Midland and Scottish Railway’s principal architect, it cost £50,000 to construct, and was the first of its kind in the UK.

The School could accommodate up to fifty railway operatives and signallers at once, and provided these staff with a residential facility in the heart of Derby. For the next twenty years, the building was used to deliver training for the Royal Engineers and The Railway Engineering School.

In 1991, a specialist conference suite was built, extending the capacity of the building and the services that it could offer.

In 2007 the RTC Group, parent company of the Derby Conference Centre, set about transforming the building. The famous sunken lounge, bar, restaurant, conference suites and bedrooms were restored to their former glory, and the building was successfully re-launched as The Derby Conference Centre.

In 2016 The Derby Conference Centre added ‘The Business Lounge’ to its already successful facilities.

Call us now to find out more about The Derby Conference Centre on 01332 861842.